Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Time to make the switch...

Now that the days are longer and the temperatures are warmer, it means it is time for the semi-annual closet clean out! I am actually really looking forward to making the switch from my sweaters to my capris and golf attire. I know we still have chilly mornings and the possibility of cool days, but I think it is safe to say the wool and fall colors have served their time.

Martha would tell me that I should pack everything away in appropriate containers, with everything pressed and clean, but I'm lucky if I get everything folded nicely. I'll iron everything in the fall (which by the way, come autumn I'll be cursing myself for not putting things away more neatly, but I'll deal with that in 6 months.) Of course I suppose I probably said the same thing to myself in September when I put away my spring/summer clothes, so darn, I guess I'll be ironing tonight!!

Aside from getting things put away and other things pulled out, I also try to get rid of a lot of items. I try to follow the "if you haven't worn it in the last year, give it away" rule, but somehow I end of convincing myself that maybe I will give that top one more try next year...perhaps what I need to do is simply remind myself that it will be one less thing to iron come September! Andy is always a lot better about putting things in the give away pile, but on the other hand, sometimes he gets carried away and then in 6 months will ask me wear his grey sweater is, ha!

While this closet clean-out definitely falls in the "chore" category, I do get a lot of satisfaction out of straightening up my closet (always nice to start a season color coordinated) and pulling out the spring clothes feels a bit like shopping in that half the time I've forgotten about a certain top or skirt, so that makes this job bearable.

Of course I'm just now realizing that cleaning out closests is probably just about as fun as reading about it...oops! I'll try to do better tomorrow :)

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I didn't mind reading about it one bit...reminds me that I should do the same thing. I too, enjoy pulling out those clothes I've forgotten about and still like...however, sometimes it's depressing when I don't like what I see when it's all unpacked. I'll let you know how it turns out!

RipleyVT said...

Our move is coming at a great time! I can go through all my stuff, pack away my Fall stuff and only put my Spring/Summer in the closet!! Which is a walk-in by the way.....but I digress.....I don't enjoy cleaning my closet as much as you do, but I might have to start!