Thursday, March 27, 2008

Excuses, excuses...

The weather could not have been more perfect yesterday, so Andy and I took the opportunity to get in 9 holes of golf. Mark Twain once called golf, "a good walk spoiled." Well Mr. Twain, you certainly hit the nail on the head with that one.

It was a gorgeous day, and it was a great excuse to get out and see some of the blossoms on the trees, and walk about 2 1/2 miles, but let me tell you, while the scenery was pretty, the golf was ugly!

However, I'm not too concerned because I've got several really good excuses:

1) I just got my clubs re-gripped, it's bound to take time to get used to the new feel
2) After my clubs were re-gripped they were put back into my bag in a different order which caused some confusion at times, and so clearly my head was not 100% focused
3) Andy was playing well and it's a well known fact in our little family that if one of us is up, the other is down
4) The change of seasons (ok seriously, people use that as an excuse for lots of stuff, why can't I use it here?)
5) I'm playing with a colleague next week in Charleston, SC so I was clearly trying to save up my good shots
6) The greens had just been aerated, so putting really didn't count
7) It was a Wednesday, I always play better on Sundays, unlike Phil Mickelson
8) Did I mention the change of season?

Ok, so maybe these aren't very good excuses, but any golfer knows having a few excuses in your backpocket is just about the only way to make it through a sub-par round.

Here's hoping I play better the next time. If not, I'll simply enjoy the nice walk and try to make sure my pockets are stocked with a new set of excuses!

1 comment:

RipleyVT said...

Great post! Bravo! I'll start thinking up some excuses for you as well....that way you're sure to have plenty!