Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Girl Scout Cookies

Today is always one of my favorite "non-holidays" of the year. It is right up there with "Red Cup Day" (you Starbucks lovers know what I'm talking about.) Today, I received my order of Girl Scout cookies! There is something about biting into my first Samoa (my fav!) of the year that just brings back so many fond memories.

I first started out as a Daisy Scout in Kindergarten and made it all the way through Junior Scout in 6th grade. Our weekly troop meetings were always something to look forward to. We would meet in Shannon McNulty's basement and spend the meeting singing songs, playing games (I was always a fan of "The Human Knot"), doing arts 'n crafts, and of course, noshing on some yummy treats!

Cookie season was always a highlight. It was so fun to get into the competition of trying to be the biggest seller. It of course helped that my dad would bring the order form to his office, and seeing as he was the boss, we sold a lot! Of course the best was going door to door and seeing just how many boxes you could get Mrs. Stobie to buy, even though she'd already bought from both Abby and Megan.

I guess in addition to just tasting really good, Girl Scout cookies, and this day especially, have a way of reminding you of a really great time in your life and just how fast time goes by. I miss good ol' Troop....oh heck, who am I kidding, I can't remember what troop number we were! I guess those days really are in the past!

While I can't remember that small detail, I will always remember to wear a "great big Brownie smile!"

3 comments:

RipleyVT said...

NICE! Well, I was in Troop 15, and mom was the leader. I remember that much!! I also remember that Anne was in nursing school at UVA and was able to bring my total to 350 boxes one year!!! Good times....and remember...."On my honor, I will try:
To serve God* and my country,
To help people at all times,
And to live by the Girl Scout Law.

Maureen Gribble said...

Nice pull on the Girl Scout Motto! I definitely didn't remember that. Remember the bridge ceremonies and the International Night?

RipleyVT said...

I remembered most of the motto, but had to look it up to remember the rest. If you notice, there is an asterisk next to "God". Here is what it says:

* The word "God" can be interpreted in a number of ways, depending on one's spiritual beliefs. When reciting the Girl Scout Promise, it is okay to replace the word "God" with whatever word your spiritual beliefs dictate.

I mean really! And, yes, I totally remember the bridge ceremonies and International night! I remember having Ethiopia or something!