Thursday, September 14, 2017

Last Hurrah of Summer...The Beaches...

Ok, so we get it, the movie Jaws was about a beach town off of Cape Cod. And yes, there were several reports of Great White Shark attacks at beaches near where we were staying. Ok, and yes, the life guards were flying a flag that literally had a shark drawn on - but yeah - of course we went anyway! 




So we weren't afraid - well - ok, I was a little afraid and that's why only Adam really ever went into the water and only up to his knees and only to really wash sand off of himself. 




All that funny shark business aside - we did really enjoy those amazing beaches - and mostly we enjoyed them around 5:00 when parking was free, the beaches were clearing, the seals were putting on a show, and the weather was something beyond perfect. 








Maybe Harper can read signs or flags or perhaps he overheard us talking about sharks but whatever it was he did have a strange fear of the ocean while we were there. He was all about running in while we were in the Outer Banks, but somehow these beaches were different...but I didn't mind. While Adam was digging his hole and Andy was keeping watch I would find myself walking down to the shoreline with Harper - hand in hand - and as a wave would approach he'd grab my leg or ask to be held. So I would hold him and he'd squeeze me tight and I would just watch the water and listen to the waves and smell the salt air and feel the breeze on my face - it was just about as wonderful a beach experience as I can recall. I'll never forget those moments. 










Of course there were also times Harper was ready to just run around, wave to dogs, climb the hills, throw sand on his brother, etc. 






But there were also moments where they would walk hand in hand and again those were the wonderful moments I'll cherish forever. 







And then we saw a dorsal fin.....and so we sent Adam to keep a watch....




The beaches of Cape Cod may have won my heart - but the oceans of OBX remain my preferred choice. (Mostly because the Jaws theme song isn't constantly playing in my head!) ;) 

PS: The boys always had a blast riding home from the beach with the windows down, cheering in unison anytime Daddy would hit the gas! :) Precious moments for sure. 




No comments: