Friday, July 17, 2009

The Big Easy...

Or rather the Big Stinky!! I just returned home from a week of meetings in New Orleans. I was actually looking forward to this trip and at one point was even trying to convince Andy to tag along, but boy was it a let down.

First off, the weather was hot and humid. I believe someone referred to it as "air you can wear." Yup, that's about right! The heat also adds to the smell...picture New York City and multiply the smell by about 50...perhaps a 100. You also have to be very careful where you step, as puddles are typically more than just a little rain water...ewww!!

Leaving dinner one night we decided to walk down Bourbon Street, just to see what all the fuss was about, and it truly is nothing but strip clubs and karaoke joints. While I love me a good karaoke bar, I have to say that some of these appeared to be combo "strip/karaoke" so we didn't dare enter...well, that and I'm eight months pregnant, so it really isn't a good scene for me at the moment.



We did have some good meals though, so I can't say it was a total wash. One night about 13 of us dined at a place called Antoines, which has been open since the 1800's. The food was French Creole, and we all enjoyed our meals. It was also nice that we had our own room, which was good since our crowd tends to get a little loud, especially when the conversation turns to politics..yikes!



We also ate at a seafood place called Dragos, which is known for their chargrilled oysters. They were the highlight of the trip for sure! They top the oysters with parmesean, some bread crumbs and lots of butter, then they grill them--wow! So tasty!



Sadly, the oysters weren't quite good enough to make me want to visit New Orleans anytime soon...I'm still trying to wash the air off myself!

1 comment:

washington dc photographer said...

Isn't food suppose to look edible?

Come home hun, we know how to cook in ol'Virginie!