Thursday, July 9, 2009

4th of July at Wintergreen

Last Thursday, Andy and I took the afternoon off and headed up to Wintergreen to join my family for the LONG holiday weekend!

The majority of Friday was spent cooking! Both Andy and Lee brought smokers up to the mountain and we had a plethora of meat smoking away all afternoon! Andy smoked up a fabulous turkey breast and he also cooked up three racks of ribs. In Lee's corner we had a pork loin and three whole chickens smoking away. The poultry was used for Saturday night's picnic, the turkey in a pasta salad and the chicken for pulled BBQ sandwiches. Needless to say we did not go hungry!






Saturday night we packed our picnic and headed up to the ski slopes for the 4th of July celebration. We got a great spot on the mountain and had plenty of room to stretch out. They had live music and the people watching was entertaining as always! Fun to see all the families with little kids and we often reminded ourselves that next year we'll be one of those families!!








The weather was a little cool, but we had plenty of blankets to cuddle up under. Unfortunately, right before the fireworks started we got hit with a little bit of rain, but it wasn't enough to keep us from watching the show. My brother was brave and snapped some photos of the fireworks before he hid his camera from the rain. They really do a great job up there and we were fooled several times thinking the finale had come and gone---we were wrong! They just kept going and going and the actual finale was amazing! What a great tradition!




Sunday was supposed to be a golfing day followed up by massages for my mom, my aunt and myself. However, we got the inevitable Wintergreen fog and rain. On the bright side it meant we were able to watch the Wimbledon finals and I got to see my boy Roger Federer pull off his record breaking 15th grand slam!

Of course, the weather didn't stop us from having our massages, so that was nice! I had a "Mommy and Me" massage and was in heaven! Baby boy was giving me little kicks throughout, I think he was happy to feel how relaxed and comfy I was. It was definitely a nice treat---though I'm already craving another one!

Andy and I took a few extra days off of work to make it an EXTRA long weekend, so on Monday, with the skies cleared up, we were able to play golf on top of the mountain with my parents. I love that course, even though it is very narrow and challenging, but the views are just spectacular so it's hard to complain.







It was another great family weekend up at Wintergreen, and as crazy as it sounds, the next time we head up there Baby Boy will be joining us! :) YAY!

No comments: