Thursday, June 25, 2009

Honeymoon chronicles...

My granddad was quite the traveler. He even took my grandmother on an "Around the World" trip--you know, the kind you only ever hear about in the movies. On these trips he took thousands of pictures (and that's when you had to use film!) and not only did he snap the photos he kept an accurate record of exactly what the pictures were of and the stories of their travels.

This was a lesson he constantly tried to instill in us and while I've done an "ok" job through the years, I don't think I can say I've exactly lived up to his high standards. So, in an effort to remedy that, I've decided to start posting occasionally about our fabulous honeymoon. Even though it was over three years ago, most of it is still pretty fresh in my memory and I figure I better get a written account of our travels before my brain turns to baby mush! :)

Andy and I were married on December 17, 2005 and while we took a short trip to Rehobeth Beach for two days after the wedding, we postponed the honeymoon until after Christmas. We then left on December 28 for the first stop of our trip, Paris!





I worked every angle I could to get us upgraded on our flight, but back then I wasn't traveling at all, so I had zero clout with United. I did get us some complimentary champagne though, so that's something! Aside from that, the flight was pretty standard, and we arrived bright and early at Charles de Gaulle in what can only be described as brisk temperatures.



As a side note, we really did not plan ahead as much for this trip as we probably should have. The wedding was really the focus and while we had our rooms and some travel books, we didn't have a super solid plan of attack. Fortunately, we ran into a lot of helpful people along the way, including two younger Americans at the airport who just happened to be going to our exact hotel. Thank goodness or I'm not sure we would have figured out how to get there! (I'll also point out that they told us where they were headed before we said where we were going, so don't worry, we were smart travelers in that sense).

We made it to our hotel around 9:00 a.m. and were way too early to check-in, so after dropping off our bags, we bundled up and headed out into the streets of Paris!

Up next...a great sandwich, the Eiffel Tower, and finally a warm shower!

No comments: