Wednesday, June 25, 2008

My visit to Budapest (Part II)

As I mentioned before, the best part about Budapest is Greg and Erica. They were such great hosts and they certainly kept me entertained. What was also great was that after all my traveling, I got to relax as well. I was there during the US Open, and I don't think I've ever watched so much golf in my life...but it was perfect and just a great way to spend time with friends that we've missed for so long.






As with all vacations, the food is always a highlight. During my first visit to Budapest I was introduced to one of the local delicacies...goose liver. Trust me when I tell you it is to die for. Greg and Erica had done some research and found out where the best goose liver in Budapest is served, so on Saturday night we all saved up our calories for a fabulous dinner at Comme Chez Soi. This was probably one of the best dining experiences I've ever had. The restaurant itself is very small which makes it very personable. The chef was the one who greeted our table, described the specials, and was around often to make sure everything was just right. The goose liver was beyond belief (served with toasted french bread, cooked apples and a honey balsamic glaze) and I will spend the rest of my life searching for places here in DC that can even attempt to compare.



Another perk to the weather being warm was that cafes were selling gelato all over the place. The place that Greg and Erica frequent serves their gelato on cones and uses a special paddle to shape the tasty treat into a rose. Delicious and artful!



In addition to great meals that we had at various restaurants, we also had several meals at home, which is always a treat when you are traveling. Erica is a great cook, and is very good at being creative with the ingredients in the house. Needless to say, I didn't go hungry!

We also got some fun Wii time in. They recently got the "American Idol" game which provided hours of entertainment (the poor neighbors!! ha). Greg even got to serenade Andy whom we were able to video chat with.




Another highlight was the Hungarian Beer Festival that we came across. It was held inside the Buda Castle, which was really cool. It was kind of an overcast day, so sitting outside (within the walls of the castle) was comfortable, and we got to enjoy different varieties of beers and snacks. It was such a a great deal too, I think we each paid roughly $10 to get in, which got us four beers a piece and a huge glass beer mug to take home. Not too shabby!







I am so thankful to have had a chance to see Budapest just one more time before Greg and Erica come home. Now the countdown is on for their return...

2 comments:

RipleyVT said...

Looks like a fabulous time was had by all!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting us...awesome entries...we loved having you here and can't wait for the Gribble/Deputy reunion in August.