Thursday, June 5, 2008

And thus begins the journey...

As this day approached, I've felt a mix of emotions. Excitement for the adventures that lie ahead, anxiousness at the dangers that lie ahead, sadness for leaving my family, happiness for seeing our friends Greg and Erica, and mostly a feeling anticipation. I haven't really had this trip planned for too long, which has its ups and downs. On the up side, I haven't had too long to worry about it; on the down side, I haven't quite done all the planning I probably should have.






All that aside, I am now sitting at Dulles International Airport, having said my goodbyes to both Liddy and more importantly Andy, and I am feeling all those emotions I mentioned above, simultaneously. Right now what is keeping me going is the fact that I was fortunate enough to be able to travel in business class. From the beginning of this trip that distinction has proven helpful, and I worry about ever going back to "coach." Typically they tell you when traveling internationally that one should arrive roughly three hours before their flight. Now, being the daughter of my father (and those of you know me well, know exactly what I'm talking about) I arrived more than three hours ahead of my flight. Within ten minutes of being at the airport (and keep in mind, this included walking from the parking lot to the ticketing area) I was already checked in and on my way.






Boy does it make a difference having a "golden ticket." (Cue the song from Willy Wonka!) Not only did I get to go through a separate line, but my luggage has a special "priority" tag on it, and I got to go through the "premium passengers" security line. The third benefit I've experienced today is that I am currently sitting in the Red Carpet Club Lounge, using free wireless internet and enjoying a glass of wine. Now this is the life.

I look around at all the people in here and wonder where they are all heading off to. Some are with spouses, others are with business associates, and several are just like myself, independent. While I'm terribly sad that Andy is not with me to share in this journey, a part of me is curious and excited to see how I handle these next few days where I'll have no one to depend on but myself. Perhaps those five years of German class will finally come in handy.

My flight to Frankfurt takes off at 9:54 p.m. and I should arrive in Frankfurt at 11:45. I will then have an 11 hour layover. I'll certainly have time to update you on how everything goes!

Wish me luck and Bon Voyage!


PS: Thanks Andy for taking me to the airport! I love you!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

anxiously awaiting your next entry from frankfurt...who snapped the photos of you in the b.c. lounge?

Maureen Gribble said...

Haha, that was Andy. We had a quick drink outside of security before he left. Sad that my photographer is no longer with me. See you soon though!!

RipleyVT said...

Thanks Erica for asking that question....I was so confused! Hope you kids have fun next week. Take care of my sister!!!