Friday, June 6, 2008

My day in Frankfurt...well the airport that is!

I knew this day was going to be the hardest part of my trip. I landed here in Frankfurt around 11:45 a.m. and my flight to Johannesburg does not depart until 10:35 p.m. Yeah, that's a really long layover.

The good news is that I've kept busy and have probably walked about five miles today. I've visited three Lufthansa Business Lounges and the one Red Carpet Club that they have here. Each lounge has been just a little bit different, though my preference was the Red Carpet Club as everyone in there was American. I know, I know, I'm in a different country so should be embracing the different cultures, but it is nice to be able to eavesdrop and actually know what people are talking about. Especially when you've got 11 hours to kill.


My only experience in this airport was when Andy and I flew home from our honeymoon. Our train from Munich to Frankfort was delayed, mid-trip, by about 90 minutes, which caused some panic and cut down on the amount of time we had to explore the airport. We barely had time to grab a bite to eat and spend our remaining Euros. In my exploring this afternoon I walked by the restaurant that we ate at that day, it certainly brought back great memories!

Unfortunately, I came across that restaurant after I'd already eaten. I have to say though, where I ate had a much better view. It had been about 12 hours since I had eaten, so I was definitely looking forward to my meal. I had strict orders from Andy to make sure that I ate weisswursts and that I washed them down with a weissbier. That was an order I had no problem following.










Andy and I enjoyed our first Weisswursts when we were on our honeymoon. We were in Munich and were visiting with our friend Martin who introduced us to these tasty "wursts." We've found some at home, but they definitely don't compare. The pretzle wasn't the greatest, but with the yummy mustard they give you, just about anything will taste good!





All this talk is making me hungry for another round...hmmm, I suppose I do have more time to kill!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you just departed frankfurt for south africa! we hope this leg is as smooth as the first round. see you very soon!

Unknown said...

UMMM HONK!!! You haven't posted since Saturday, I've been dying to know what's going on. Please post soon!