Friday, June 29, 2012

A handmade and heartfelt Father's Day...

I remember making handmade gifts for my dad in Girl Scouts each year.  I don't quite remember what they actually were, but I know they were handcrafted and while I'm sure they served absolutley no practical purpose, my dad's face would still light up as he'd open whatever popsicle stick, pipe cleaner concoction was hiding under that thin sheet of decorated tissue paper. 

It's a bit like deja vu, watching Adam come home from school with handcrafted treasures and while I'm sure the look on Adam's face is one of extreme pride, I'm more focused on that familiar beam that shines from Andy's face.  The kind of look that only a dad can make.  




This year Adam came home with a handmade card from school that had a poem attached:

 "Daddy's Boy"
Author: Patsy Gaut
My little eyes are watching,
My ears are listening too.
They take in everything
That you say and do.

My little hands are eager
To do the things you do.
I'm hoping and I'm dreaming
I'll grow up just like you.

I am just a little guy
Who knows that you are wise
You'll teach me what I need
For someone just my size.

I'm a bright eyed little fellow
Who is watching what you do
And I'm waiting for the day
I'll be grown up just like you.


I'm not sure there are better words to describe the relationship between Adam and his Dad.  Change the title to "Daddy's Girl" and I'm certain it would have fit perfectly on the back of a popsicle stick picture frame featuring a photo of the best Dad I could ask for and me sitting on his lap.




Happy Father's Day to all those amazing dads out there.  With special love being sent out to my pops, the pops that taught my son's pops to be so awesome and of course to the best pops Adam could ask for! XOXOXO

No comments: