Monday, August 16, 2010

Adventures in baking cinnamon rolls...

For whatever reason, I've always shied away from baking anything that required the use of yeast. I guess the whole process just seemed so complicated and so I just stuck with using pre-made doughs or recipes where yeast wasn't an ingredient. That being said, I've always wanted to learn how to make really good cinnamon rolls. My friend growing up, Cindy, her mom used to make the BEST cinnamon rolls and I know that she and her sisters have continued the tradition baking them up for their kiddos. The only problem--the yeast!



So I took advantage of having Andy's dad with us for the weekend and asked him to help me conquer my fear of yeast! (He is always baking up such yummy pizza dough, saffron rolls, etc) So Saturday night, we suited up with our aprons, rolled up our sleeves, and made homemade cinnamon rolls, yeast and all!






It was so much fun and surprisingly easy, albeit messy! :) We made two kinds, the traditional cinnamon roll and a batch of chocolate rolls (a combination of cocoa powder, sugar and Nutella!) I have to say the chocolate ones came out the best, but we learned a few things along the way that will make both batches even better the next time around!






Thanks Poppy for being our instructor for the evening! I look forward to many Sunday mornings filled with the yummy smell of fresh baked cinnamon rolls in the oven and who knows, maybe someday Adam will be talking about those yummy rolls his mom used to make! ;)



2 comments:

Lee said...

Annnnd, I didn't get one. Booo

RipleyVT said...

I will make some this weekend!!