Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A new day...

Yesterday's election, regardless of who you voted for, was a proud and monumental moment in this country's history. Not just for the obvious reasons, but because it was the perfect illustration of what democracy is all about.

In his victory speech, President-elect, Barrack Obama said, "If there is anyone out there who doubts that America is a place where anything is possible, who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer.”


I don't think I've ever been so wrapped up in the results of an election. I was glued to the television watching all of the commentary and anxiously awaiting as state after state were "called." I watched with admiration as Senator McCain gave a gracious, uplifting, and heartwarming concession speech. Again, no matter which side of the aisle you sit on, you cannot deny that this man fought hard and is the epitome of what a great American citizen should be.

I was literally blown away by the unprecedented celebrations that took place on the proverbial "Main Streets" all across the country. I even heard one celebrator state that while she hadn't voted for Obama, she was there to celebrate the fact that she could vote and that so many others in this nation had exercised their right and responsibility to do so as well.

Watching all of this unfold, I knew I was seeing history in the making. People reminisce about where they were when we first landed on the moon or when the Berlin wall fell and I knew watching the coverage last night that I would forever remember that moment. I am happy to add it to the list of good things to reminisce about in this nation, especially at a time when this country needs something to celebrate and be proud of.

So congratulations to President-elect Obama and here's to at least four years of progress and change that apparently so many of us believe in.