Monday, August 11, 2008

I *heart* NY

Last week Andy accompanied me on a business trip to the Big Apple. I had been looking forward to the trip ever since it was scheduled back in the winter. I was running a meeting at none other than the grand Waldorf-Astoria (a most wonderful upgrade from the usual Doubletrees and Holiday Inns where my meetings typically take place).

We drove up on Sunday and had a great time playing the license plate game and adding up how much we spent in tolls (not a cheap drive, but cheaper than the train.) We arrived at the hotel around 11:30 and had to wait a bit for our room to be ready so we took a stroll and had a great lunch near Central Park and the Plaza. Once our room was ready we had to quickly get changed for the theater. Andy bought me (unbeknownst to him) orchestra seats to see Wicked (yes, I know, I've seen it before, but never on Broadway!) The show was fabulous and I think even Andy enjoyed finally seeing the show, considering I've been making him listen to the music for over a year now.










Even more fabulous was our amazing room. They put us up in one of the corner rooms, which meant we had tons of windows, extra space, and fantastic views of Park Avenue. I couldn't believe the marble in the bathroom, super fancy!





The work part of the trip was pretty painless. We had a great wine tasting reception, where we had Mario Andretti as a special guest, and just one day of sessions that I had to work, but was finished by 5:00 in time to enjoy a great night on the town with Andy.

Aside from enjoying amazing meals and wine, we also got a lot of great walking and site seeing in. Our hotel was centrally located, with 5th Avenue just two blocks up and Central Park just a quick 9 or so blocks away. Rockefeller Center was close by as well, though it was sad to see it without the Christmas Tree (note the picture of my looking sad...you know me a my Christmas tree!) ;)











New York really is a great city, but it was definitely nice to come home. A special thanks to Andy's parents for watching Liddy while we were away--boy was she tuckered out from her vacation at Piedmont!

No comments: