Monday, November 30, 2009

Adam's first Thanksgiving...

Andy and I have hosted many pre-Thanksgivings, but we've never been in charge of the real deal, until this year! We decided with it being Adam's first Thanksgiving that we'd have everyone to our house to celebrate.

We had Andy's parents, my parents, Andy's sister Heidi and her husband Shawn and their son Garrett, my brother Mark and my aunt Anne. It was a great sized crowd and made for a very lively and fun holiday.

We started our cooking on Wednesday with Andy making his mom's stuffing and I made the sweet potatoes and breads for everyone. Adam and Liddy were great spectators!

We then woke up bright and early (thanks to our personal alarm clock, Adam) on Thanksgiving and got right back into the kitchen. We even re-arranged our furniture so that we could eat in our living room (which is actually a dining room as well, but we've never used it for that). I was really looking forward to the change of scenery as I hate eating dinner staring at all the pots and pans that need to be cleaned!


By 9:00 we had a good jump start on the day's preparations and were ready for Adam to enjoy his very first Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Those who know me well, know that one of my favorite things all year is to watch the parade so I was very excited to share the experience with my son! :)



We also had a mid-morning visit from Greg and Erica which was very nice. We enjoyed some mimosas with them and they got some good "Adam Time" in.



After lunch it was time to get the turkey cooking, and as a change, I actually took care of preparing the turkey. I was a little nervous, but ended up loving it! I felt so grown-up! I then let Andy take care of cooking the turkey as we decided to use the grill again, and that's definitely his specialty!



Family started arriving around 4:30 and we actually got close to our targeted dinner time, only 30 minutes behind, which wasn't too bad! Dinner turned out great (even if I do say so myself) and everyone seemed pleasantly full!









For dessert we had an apple crisp that Andy's dad made and a pumpkin cheesecake that Mark made. Both were equally delicious and a perfect ending to a great meal. And as if the food at dinner wasn't enough, I couldn't resist sending everyone home with some pumpkin bread and pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.




We are so thankful to have such great families and we are especially thankful for the newest addition to ours!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

No comments: